Bay Area Kitchen ProBay Area Window Pros

All about replacement windows and doors. Window Discussion Board

You are not logged in.

#1 2007-01-30 16:08:42

Devill

Storm Window over Thermopane?

We have a guest bedroom that has a window facing north and a window facing west. Both windows are about 4'x6'.
Both windows are thermopane windows.
We live in the Midwest with cold weather.
Here is the problem....This room is consistently 4 degrees cooler in the winter weather than the rest of our house.
My question is: Can storm windows be installed over these thermopane windows? If yes, can you approximate the cost to install storm windows over these two windows?
I may even try plastic on the interior of these windows first to see if that helps bring the room temperature up.
Any suggestions will be appreciated.

#2 2007-01-31 15:05:42

XmenX

Re: Storm Window over Thermopane?

If this room is 4 degrees cooler than the rest of the house, I would go looking for the reasons WHY and address them. (Storm windows are 'old tech', and won't correct the problem.)

Is this room a second story room, over an unheated garage or basement? Is the HVAC duct to this room undersized, broken, or clogged? (Is the register open??) How much attic insulation is above this room, as compared to the rest of the house? Are the walls insulated?

IF everything I mentioned checks out, then I would replace the IG units of these windows with IG units that have low-E or low-E squared glass. That will do a lot more for you than storm windows ever thought of!

#3 2007-01-31 15:07:21

Devill

Thanks for your comments. The insulation on walls and above the room check out ok. We just had the ducts in the house sealed by Aeroseal.
I believe the cause of the degree drop in this room are the windows.
Can I ask....what is the meaning of !G and low E ?

#4 2007-02-03 13:37:19

XmenX

OK, you seem to have eliminated some of the possible cases I mentioned. It's starting to look like it could be the windows.

An "IG unit" is the glass in your windows. You replace both panes as a sealed unit. You can order them from any glass shop, and you would have them in about a week.

Low-E or Low-E squared is a low emissity coating that is sprayed on a pane of glass, then that pane is used to make an IG unit. The Low-E coating simply blocks the transfer of heat. In the winter, it's keeping the heat in the room (not allowing it to pass thru the glass to the outside), and in the summer, it's keeping the outside heat from entering the room thru the glass.

Replacing the IG units in your windows with ones with Low-E glass would certainly help with your heat loss, and may even cure it. Less expensive to replace the IG units than it would be to retrofit the windows, but retrofitting the windows would reduce your heat lose even more. And there may be incentives from your local utility available if you were to retrofit the windows, in the form of a rebate. And, your house would be more comfortable, and you would save 10%, 15% maybe even 20% or more on your utility bill.

Board footer